12.29.2010

one new year goal: A-Z reading challenge

I'm still in the process of coming up with a solid New Year's resolution-type plan, but I'm planning on it centering around taking better care of myself - sleeping, taking vitamins, exercise, etc. It's also going to include something I love very, very much but I sometimes let slip in favor of things like TV: READING.

I absolutely love to read, always have. Apparently I taught myself to read out of a cookbook as a kid (according to my mom). Last year, I started using Goodreads to see how many books I read, what books they were, etc. I assumed I would read about 50 books- one a year. I actually only read 31 - and that counts a couple I didn't even finish!

So my new plan is the following: To participate in the A-Z Challenge for reading this year.
The challenge: 52 books total (one a week on average). You pick 26 by the title, one for each letter of the alphabet (so starting with A, B, etc.) and 26 by the author, one for each letter of the alphabet (same thing).

from the site: If you want to give the X's a go... For authors, try to find an X in the first name, middle name, or last name. For titles, it doesn't have to be the starting word. Try to find an X somewhere in a title, and it'd count in my book.

Still can't find a book for the letter you need? I'll take your word for it. I've been there. I know. If your library doesn't see the need to order books just because it starts with an X, then I don't blame you for not wanting to special order a book that you may or may not enjoy. You gave it your best, don't feel bad. You can still make this challenge work for you.
And my one disclaimer: I occasionally reread books. I will probably do so this year. If I do, I think they count if they fit in the challenge - so long as there are 5 or less for the year. If not, they don't count - I can still read them (clearly) but not as part of my 52.

I'm excited! I really love to read, and I love finding new books. Now I'll have a reason to turn off the TV!
Anyone care to join me?

1 comment:

  1. I'm making reading part of mine too! But I'm just picking a dozen books that I'll commit to reading before the year's up (plus of course whatever misc ones). Any suggestions for REALLY GOOD books that can go in my list of 12?

    ReplyDelete